SeaWitch Escapades

....Life is as Life is....

Still Sailing Along

So we are still sailing along in calm seas, heading north the Guaymas Basin. I had to go online to figure out where this was, since I'm so used to being 450 miles away from land and not seeing anything. I found this picture from the WHOI website that gives me a better idea of where the heck I'm going and for you guys to also know where I'll be for a few more days. Its taking us 4 days to sail from 9N at the East Pacific Rise to our next spot. We will be there early Sunday morning, which means back to 4:00 wake up times and filtering tons of water, inducing bacteria and freezing samples with liquid nitrogen. You know, the fun stuff!


Yesterday the ALVIN group had a t-shirt sale. They sell t-shirts to us scientists to buy videos, the new tv, and other equipment for the use of them and the ship's crew (as well as visiting scientists) and make the place a little more home like. I got one for myself, one for Jeboleth and one for my roommate, Leo's Mommy. There weren't too many to choose from, so I hope they like them. Sometimes they have lots of cool stuff, but since the cruise was just after another cruise with no stops back at the US, they were limited on the supplies. Darn.


Today has been rather interesting. The place we're going to go sample is a very muddy place, like several inches to feet of mud surrounding the vents. This has made sampling the diffuse flow water difficult in the past because it clogs our filters up badly. This year, Maddhatter and K-Dude came up with some prototype of a bigger, better, bucket that will have larger filters attached. The problem is that these filters need to be made out here. And yes, unfortunaly K-Dude and Maddhatter know that I can sew. I could try to deny it, but my Halloween costume gave it away. Anyway, so I agree to be the scientific filter seamstress for this task. At first we thought I would be in luck, as the ALVIN group has a sewing machine on board. A sewing machine that I'm sure is older than me and probably worked back then too. The sticker for the last inspection was in 1996, Wow. We tried to get the old thing going, but it just wasn't having it. The bobbin wanted to work the under stitch only about every 10 stitches. We tore it apart, trying to get it to work, but to no avail. :( Looks like hand sewing small stitches were in my future today..... And thus, I took my filter pieces, thread, needle, pins and scissors and traveled to a comfortable place to sit and sew for a spell. I found the TV room was empty, so I popped in the "Serenity" DVD and sewed to Reevers, Mal and Mr. Universe. I had a few folks pop in and say they already watched the movie in there the other day, my reply was, "And??"


I finished that in about 2 hours, the filter and the movie. Then I tried to take a short break, but another filter needed to be made. I started that one, but the TV room was now occupied by a group meeting and the library had a talk going on. I sewed some, but then my eyes started crossing and my shoulders aching. Damn sewing machine couldn't work, could it! I had to take a break a while ago, and just allow my eyes to focus on things other than 1/8" stitches and white fabric. Hence the blog entry. I have to go back to sewing in a bit here, and I think that's all the work I have to do tonight. One more day of relaxing-ish time, or at least actual sleep.


Luckily we are over 1/2 done, nearly time to go home!!!! You realize there are a few things, other than your significant others and pets, that you miss desperately out here when you no longer have them: 1) Weekends... 2) After work time... 3) My own bed... 4) My own kitchen and cooking... 5) Interaction with people other than the 40 same people you see every single day nearly 24 hours a day........ Sigh.


Okay, so today's last photo, yes I actually have one for you, is of my walk path from the lower deck to the bow. It is rather a nice walk, sometimes a bit noisy due to the ship's fans and engines, but the covered walk is nice, and gives such a pretty view as you climb up to the next stairs to sit in my favourite spot. :D Ciao!

1 comments:

Anonymous November 22, 2008 at 7:39 AM  

Wish I was there! I could have helped you sew! Good luck with new and improved filters, and finding a little peace on the ship.

Followers

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Powered By Blogger