So this isn't really a trip, considering that I've been to Lewes, De a zillion times for cruises and for the annual Coast Day event that I've volunteered for in various ways in years past. But we did get to go do some stuff, so I thought I'd add it. It was during the week, I had just gotten new tires on my car (yay!) so I felt good and safe driving to lower Delaware. UD has a southern campus where the ship docks and I think two buildings for classes and research. We went to the Viriden Center for the retreat, which consisted of a morning session that covered the new calender system. We had lunch, discussed it a bit more then broke for the afternoon. Since Jeboleth couldn't take time off from work to come down, I was on my own. One of my co-workers that I've known since 2001 was there with her two small kids and her husband. So we decided to go tour Cape Henlopen State park.
We went up into the WWII towers, and could see to the ocean. These towers were built to defend the US in case the Germans were to make it across the Atlantic during the war. They still stand and are now tourist spots to take photos of the area. We walked around the other area of the beach, looking at the bunkers, abandoned machinery, and came across a few deer. They were nestled into the branches of some trees and stood there a while munching away on the grass until they realized they had an audience. It was a nice afternoon, not too hot and not too chilly. We wrapped up with heading back to think about what to do for dinner. But I got hungry first and headed out on my own for sushi (of course) at Sakitumi in Rehoboth Beach. They had some very tasty food, and some bizare menu items too, not exactly sure if I would try them all but it was interesting to see a variety on the menu. After dinner, I went back to the room at the Viriden Center, wrapped up my things for the night, packed up my bags and set my alarm. I got up early and drove back to Newark. It was a very short trip. It would have been a bit more fun with Jeboleth there, but he couldn't come, and it would have been more fun if the the rest of the group did something together as well. But I did get some good sushi and oh, yes, I stopped at Marshall's to do a little shopping and found a sweater. I've since gotten rid of it, but it lasted for the winter. Not sure why so many folks head down there, but it is a haven for shopping, beach and and such. Ah well. I enjoyed my time with my friend and my sushi. :)



0 comments:
Post a Comment