Our last day in the UK we decided to indulge our bit of love for the book and movie the Da Vinci Code. It wasn't too far away, we could easily hop on one of the Lothian buses and be out there to Roslynn in about 45 minutes. So we did, as well as about 10 other people on the bus. We rode out into the countryside (beautiful!) and into a tiny little town. We got off the bus and walked a bit down a small lane to a path up and around to a Welcome center for Roslynn Chapel. We were able to take lots of photos outside the chapel, which is still undergoing some renovation. But zero photos are permitted inside. I walked around the outside, impressed at how large this cathedral would have been had it been completed. Once inside, I was blown away. It is simply beautiful. Walking around, I wish I could have taken photos, but it just would not have done it justice. We listened to a brief tour discussion, history of the chapel and explanation of the restoration. It was great to hear, and more enlightening than anything we had read. We walked down into the "crypt" area where Tom Hanks had made the discoveries of the lineages. Unfortunately, it is actually a small square room to no where. Nope, no extra basement room, no secret passages, no archives of documents. Sorry guys. Oh well. But the architecture of the building is real, the ceiling is real, the rest is real. We spent a great deal of time there, and then afterwards I bought a silk scarf with the proceeds going to the restoration. And then hopped the bus back to Edinburgh for the Italian dinner. We spent our last evening in our lovely hotel, The Roxburghe, which was the best for location and walking distance for everything. Our flight back the next morning was back on Air France which was a little delayed out of the UK, and in Paris we had a bit of a hiccup trying to switch planes. We were just in time at the gate, but when we got to the bus, it seemed to take a while to fill up the bus before it would move on to the plane. In the meantime a small child was coughing a lot near me. I have a crappy immune system, my only thought was "at least this is at the end of the trip." We finally got to our plane, and on our way. I watched a few movies on the way home and we finally landed in Newark. A few days later I began feeling ill, and a few more I had a full borne flu. Thank you small child on the bus in Paris. Again, at least it was at the end of my vacation. :) The joys of travel come with a cost sometimes. All in all, we had a fabulous time. Our first trip to the UK was great, we got to go to the highlands, see and sail on Loch Ness, tour Edinburgh Castle, see the Royal Jewels, see Roslynn Chapel, tour Edinburgh Zoo, see a few castles, Dunnottar Castle which is amazing, eat great sushi, visit friends, take a train through the countryside along the coast, and spend time with the locals at the theater, in the "delux seats" getting soft leather seats! This was a great vacation, I'm glad we both enjoyed it and even enjoyed finally seeing the penguins....



0 comments:
Post a Comment